Support our high school sports coverage by becoming a digital subscriber. Subscribe now.
Here is this week’s Daily News high school football rankings, which include the team’s rank, record, last week’s ranking and its game this week.
DAILY NEWS FOOTBALL TOP 15
1. Chaminade (5-0): The Eagles stayed unbeaten with a 42-10 win at Loyola Friday in Javance Johnson’s return from injury. The San Diego State commit threw for 282 yards and two touchdowns, he also rushed for 55 yards and a score.
Last week: No. 1 | This week: Bye
2. West Ranch (5-0): It’s simple. Win games and rise in the rankings, and that’s what the Wildcats have done this season with quality wins over St. Francis and St. Paul. QB Ryan Staub is up to 21 touchdowns with no interceptions. Big test this week against Saugus.
Last week: No. 3 | This week: at Saugus, Friday
3. Saugus (4-1): The Centurions use a comeback effort – without star wideout Khai Ky-yeith – to beat Valencia in their Foothill League opener, 28-21. Now, a showdown with West Ranch could put Saugus in the driver’s seat for a third straight league title.
Last week: No. 4 | This week: vs. West Ranch, Friday
4. Oaks Christian (2-2): The Lions drop after a hard-fought 20-14 loss to a very, very good Serra Gardena team at home. This week will be interesting for Oaks Christian as they host Loyola, a very capable team, before it opens Marmonte League play on September 30.
Last week: No. 2 | This week: vs. Loyola, Friday
5. Newbury Park (5-0): The Panthers weren’t even listed in the preseason rankings in mid-August. Now, they’re in the top five. QB Brady Smigiel is the real deal. Newbury Park thumped Royal 55-0 to set up a Canyon League showdown with also-unbeaten Thousand Oaks.
Last week: No. 6 | This week: at Thousand Oaks, Friday
6. Sierra Canyon (2-3): The Trailblazers get back on track with a lopsided win over Westlake 49-6. Now, they’ll have a week off to prepare for their Mission League opener against Bishop Amat.
Last week: No. 8 | This week: Bye
7. Simi Valley (3-2): The Pioneers are scratching their heads wondering what’s happened to them the last two weeks after scoring just 14 points in a loss to Saugus and Yorba Linda in back-to-back weeks. Coach Jim Benkert will make sure his team learns from it during this week’s bye.
Last week: No. 5 | This week: Bye
8. Thousand Oaks (4-0): The Lancers maintained its unbeaten 2022 campaign with a 28-14 win over Oak Park in a Canyon League showdown. But another league showdown awaits this Friday against Newbury Park.
Last week: No. 13 | This week: vs. Newbury Park, Friday
9. Highland (3-1): The Bulldogs thumped Knight in its Golden League opener. It’s time Highland moved into the top 10. Running back Brandon Johnson is up to 503 yards and seven touchdowns this season.
Last week: No. 11 | This week: vs. Littlerock
10. Valencia (2-3): The Vikings fall behind in its hunt for a Foothill League title with a loss to Saugus, but should be able to bounce back against Castaic High this week.
Last week: No. 7 | This week: at Castaic, Friday
11. Oak Park (4-1): The Eagles suffered their first loss to Thousand Oaks last week, but had to play without star player Rowan Heidt, who couldn’t play due to injury. His return to the field in questionable.
Last week: No. 10 | This week: at Moorpark, Friday
12. St. Francis (2-3): The Golden Knights beat Muir 41-0. If there’s anything to take away from a game like that, maybe, the defense gained confidence, because they need it. St. Francis has let up 210 points in four games.
Last week: No. 14 | This week: Bye
13. Alemany (1-2): The Warriors are a mystery. Alemany had a two-week bye before playing Mission Viejo and losing 45-8. The running game is good, but can Alemany pass to keep opponents honest?
Last week: No. 9 | This week: at Lawndale, Friday
14. Calabasas (3-1): The Coyotes had a bye week and will travel to Crescenta Valley this Thursday night.
Last week: No. 12 | This week: at Crescenta Valley, Thursday
15. Golden Valley (4-1): The Grizzlies have been flying under the radar, but not anymore. After a Week 0 loss, Golden Valley has won four straight, including a 42-0 win over Castaic last week. A 2-0 Foothill League start is very possible for this team.
Last week: Unranked | This week: vs. Hart, Friday